Human health includes both inputs and outputs. What we think, what we watch, and how we feel directly influence everything from the architecture of our brain to how well our immune system is functioning. I’ve listed ten things we all can do that will be better our health on Monday instead of watching the Presidential debate which can induce high blood pressure, depression, hopelessness, apathy, and even thoughts of self-harm. So if you want to avoid all of those possible side effects of watching the debate take a crack at doing one of these fun and healthy alternatives.
- Make Love to your significant other. If you think 90 minutes is being a bit overly optimistic than start with head to toe massage and then get to the good stuff. Then repeat until the 90 minutes are up.
Sexual intercourse helps to boost your immune system and also helps to lower blood pressure. Watching the presidential debate will definitely raise viewers blood pressure.
2. Cook and eat a Primal Meal. I would suggest making grass fed beef tacos. Mix up your own taco seasonings, lettuce tomato and if you are cool with dairy, organic cheddar cheese and organic sour cream. If you are feeling really adventurous you can make your own cassava flour tortillas. This is the link to my recipe for the tortillas. They are delicious.
Eating paleo or primally has a host of health benefits. It can help you lose weight, lower your cholesterol and help ease the symptoms of many chronic illnesses. The Paleo approach to eating also helps you to avoid wheat, vegetable oils, and sugar that have a host of negative effects on the human body and all of which can contribute to diabetes, heart disease and even cancer.
3. Get your garden ready for Fall planting. Now is the perfect time to revisit your summer garden and write down what worked and what didn’t. After that you can sit down and plan out what you are going to plant this fall. This is something the whole family can be involved with. Growing your own organic vegetables feeds your body and your soul.
4. Start learning a new language. If you learn another language it can help increase your memory and help with avoiding common cognitive traps like spelling errors or common grammar errors. Also it helps to broaden your horizon and get a different perspective which is always a good thing. This can help you see through the “tribalism” that the media and the ruling elite attempt to box us all in with and it helps you avoid falling for their plans at creating tension amongst the various “tribes”.
5. Play a board game with your family. I personally would avoid playing risk with my family because the shouting and hurt feelings defeats the purpose. But for most people playing board games is an activity full of smiles and laughter. We’ve heard over and over again laughter is the best medicine, I don’t know about that but laughter has been shown to increase endorphins and decrease stress hormones. Another great benefit of playing board games is that you sit across from each other and you make a lot of eye contact with each person. Anyone knows that one of the best things in the world is to be the recipient of a loved one’s full attention. This is especially important for kids.
Instead of staring into a glowing box projecting images and sounds of two people you don’t know and will never know, use your attention, intelligence, energy and time to engage with those that you love while playing a game. You’ll be having more fun than anyone who is watching the debate, I guarantee it.
6. Write three letters to the three people in your life. You don’t even have to send them. The site of handwriting from someone you love has a powerful affect on a person. It is almost like seeing a picture of them writing the letter while at the same time peering inside their minds. It’s a very intimate way to communicate. That’s why it’s very unfortunate kids are not being taught cursive any longer. It is an art form and it conveys individuality that you can feel. If you’ve ever come across an old letter from a long ago love or a birthday card signed by your grandma who passed away years ago, you know what I mean.
Writing letters involves both sides of the brain. There is a structure to it the writing, there is the emotional component and what content you want to cover. It can be as simple as sharing your latest vacation trip with an uncle you’ve not spoken to for a while or a heartfelt thank you to a caregiver, a teacher, or someone else who has helped you in a powerful way you’ve never thanked properly. That is a thousand times more powerful than anything that’s going to be said on the glowing box by those two people you don’t know and will never meet.
7. Take a hike. That’s really what I want to tell all politicians. I know we’d better off without them but in the mean time go outside and walk. Go for as long as you can. It’s not a race. Take someone with you. Enjoy the birds, the breeze and the cool night air. The walk is all about the experience of being in nature even if it’s just walking in your neighborhood. Walking helps improve your circulation, strengthens your bones and improves your mood. Maybe the debate should have the candidates walking and talking?
8. Go to a yoga class. This is a great time to try out yoga. I have a feeling no matter who is elected in the next fours years, their will be a lot of tumult, stress and strain in the U.S. The deep state doesn’t change when the tenets of the White House move out. Yoga is not just for unwashed hippies or girls in their twenties. It is extremely beneficial for mind and body. I actually followed a thirty day yoga youtube series “Yoga with Adrienne” last year. I’ve had a ton of abdominal surgeries and it helped to stretch out my scars and adhesions.
Yoga helps you get stronger, be more flexible and more resilient, both physically and emotionally. Watching the debates makes you feel powerless. Doing Yoga is empowering.
9. Read a great book or listen to one – I am knee deep into a Robert Heinlein science fiction book on Audible. The narration is awesome and it deals with deep issues like slavery versus freedom, the book is “Farnham’s Freehold”. Start a new book on Monday instead of watching the debates. You’ll have engaged your imagination, learned something knew, and have something to share with others. And you’ll be ahead of 42% of college students who never read another novel after graduation. That’s scary and it also explains the state of the world we live in.
Reading fiction helps to heighten connectivity in the brain. That according to experts is a good thing. Plus its enjoyable. Not being able to put down a great book is one of the great pleasures in life. Start on Monday or finish the book you’ve been neglecting.
If you are not into fiction start reading up on a hobby you wanted to start or about farming, carpentry or some other practical skill. Or better yet about philosophy. If you are interested in Libertarian or The Freedom Philosophy I recommend checking out this free book by Leonard Read: “Anything Peaceful” which is the total opposite of what the two candidates will be spewing on Monday. This book covers why peace and individual liberty go hand in hand.
The key is to use the time to grow, improve and be an active participant in life and not just a passive consumer. What I love most about books is that there are no commercials in them. I can’t believe no publisher hasn’t thought about putting ads in books yet. I’m glad they haven’t. Below is a bunch of other reasons why reading is awesome.
10. Remove toxins from your house. Not having the debates on in your home is the first step in removing harmful cognitive toxins from your residence. The debates, the media, the talking heads all spew out harmful cognitive poison. I watched “The Human Experiment” last night. It was eye opening. It’s not about cognitive poison but its about all the horribly toxic ingredients that are in everything from household cleaners to makeup to shaving cream to soap which wreak havoc on the human body. Spend time on Monday going through your home and reading labels. Then go online and research what natural and organic products you can buy to replace the toxic sludge we are soaking ourselves in daily.
Two brands I like are:
https://www.drbronner.com (great soap)
http://www.seventhgeneration.com (paper towels and household cleaners)
These are just ten things you can do that are good for your health instead of watching the debates which is not. Your vote won’t matter. Your individual actions and choices you make on a daily basis impact your life a billion times more than any politician’s actions ever will. Spend the time with the TV off as a silent protest to the powers that be and concentrate on living a healthier and happier life today. Your health is the bedrock of your life. It is the foundation for all your relationships. Spending time getting stronger, growing closer to your loved ones, improving you brain and exercising your body is a great way to become healthier today.
Your life is Epic – act accordingly.